Okay So I like most moms, have a pile of clean and dirty clothes in my bedroom, and a sink full of dirty dishes... even thought I clean every day... the piles never go away... unless we all leave on vacation! So I am always trying to find little and big ways to help with the cleaning and organizing of our house... I feel in the last week that I have made progress. I will post some pictures later.. but I am for the first time looking at a room that is used on a daily basis and NOT cleaning it! i bet you wanna know how I did that. We ll first take a look at this great inspiration post from Jenn at Delicious Ambiguity, she gives a great way to tackle all those jobs you hate... take a look... and I will post some pictures tomorrow!
I always find that I can't seem to get everything done that needs to in a day. I've tried making cleaning schedules but most days I don't get to everything and the house work piles up. Then I procrastinate because it just seems like there is too much on my plate and I really don't want to do it. Sound familiar? Well speed cleaning is your answer. Here's how you do it:
1. Make your bed: This always comes first.
2. Get yourself ready: Get dressed, fix your hair and put your make-up on.This sounds a bit silly but trust me, you feel better when you schedule the time and get yourself ready.
3. Set the mood: Put some music on that has a good beat then light a candle with a good scent.
Now you are ready and it's time to get your clean on!
You are going to set your timer for 15 minutes and move on to each numbered task. When the timer goes off it is time to move on to the next task.
4. Kitchen: Shine your sink, fill it with hot soapy water and clean off your cupboards. DO NOT GET SIDETRACKED AND START CLEANING OUT YOUR CUPBOARDS. Empty your dishwasher and re-load it. Wipe out the microwave. When the timer goes off head to your living room.
5. Living room: Clean off the coffee tables, pick up toys or newspapers. Concentrate on one thing and get it done. This can be putting all the things that don't belong in the living room in a basket or picking up all the trash and putting it in a laundry bag. When the timer goes off head back to the kitchen.
6. Bathroom: Clean the bathroom sink, swish the toilet, pick up dirty clothes and towels and put them in the hamper. Wipe the mirrors and spray some air freshner.
7. Take a break: Walk around and look at all that you've accomplished in 45 minutes. Set the timer for another 15 minutes and grab a snack and a drink. Do whatever you want to relax. When the timer goes off you are back in work mode.
8. Repeat steps 4-7: Pick up wherever you left off. Every 45 minutes you are to take a break. Do this until you are happy with your results.
9. Floors: Sweep, then vacuum, then mop. When the timer goes off take another break.
10. Take care of it: All the items you gathered in the laundry basket can now be put away. The trash can now be thrown out. Then dirty laundry can now be washed.
The best part of this routine is that you can change it to fit your routine and even use 10 minute increments if they suit you better. If you don't get sidetracked you will be amazed at how much you can accomplish in a days time. Plus, this method works great for other things in life too-like blogging!
Now grab your timer and get to work!