Thursday, April 8, 2010

From Signs of Love to Words.... Our Journey Part 7


A little relaxation... that is what we needed. We took Joshua to Seattle for the day to watch a Thomas the Train theater production and it was so much fun. Just spending the day with the family not worrying about his speech. But then... it happened... we are in the car, and Joshua starts to cry, and it was more of a painful something is wrong cry, I am becoming frantic because I really have no idea what is going on. Is he hurt? Sick? What? Then he begins to choke... I scream at Chris that he is choking and to pull over, which is not an easy task at all because we are on the interstate at a merge lane. Just as we are pulling over Joshua begins to throw up everywhere, as I am pulling Joshua out of the car a police officer pulls over to find out why we dodged through three lanes of traffic. He pulls over gets out of his car and starts the walk over to us, as he sees that Joshua has thrown up everywhere and I do mean EVERYWHERE he begins to gag. That's right this big tall police officer is gagging and coughing at the site of my 2 year old's vomit!

The officer headed back to his car and phoned in our plates (I guess to double check... or avoid the issue) he then brought some paper towel for us, and some gloves so that I could clean the whole car seat and back of the car up. He was actually very nice. Once we got ourselves back in order we drove off, we wondered if he had food poisoning, or just a sick tummy be he seemed fine so we continued on. About 30 minutes later the event started all over again, we were covered in vomit, and I was now sitting in the back seat with Joshua holding a bag. The only way that we knew something was wrong was that he would let out a painful cry and I would place the bag under his face in case he began to vomit. Turns out Joshua gets car sick, and it is a 3 hour drive from Vancouver to Seattle... and with a car sick baby it is about 5 hours.

Are you reading this and wondering why I told this story? Well it was a fact that we had to accept, no matter how much I tried to get away there were simple facts that Joshua at almost 3 couldn't tell me he was sick. It was the painful scream that warned me that something was wrong, not his words. What if this had been more serious? What if we were at home and I was in another room and didn't see he was hurt? All these thoughts raced through my head over and over again, what if? Looking back i can laugh at the police officer and his tearful gags and know it will all be okay, but that day I honestly thought how am i going to make this work? How will I fix this for my son? The get away that I had planned for that day to forget our worries made me worry even more... So I went EXTREME... DISNEYLAND! What better place to ignore your worries for a week than Disneyland. So I booked the flight, hotel and we left the next week... April 1st 2009!

No comments:

Post a Comment